Monday, February 21, 2011

President's Day = Agency Closed

I don't think I could have been more happy to go to bed on a Sunday evening last night. Typically, it's the least favorite part about my weekend, however last night I was able to close my eyelids knowing that there was no need to set an alarm, because tomorrow was President's Day!

I'd like to take this moment and thank all of the Chiefs of State (past and present), if not for you and your efforts to better, or in some cases unintentionally worsen, our great Nation I wouldn't have had today off of work. Ergo, I salute you! :)

As most of you are aware by now, I work full time at Wood County Job and Family Services in the Income Maintenance department as a Caseworker. I determine eligibility for Food Assistance, Cash Assistance, and Medicaid. I have been working at the Agency for a little over four years, but in this position for almost two years.

This morning, I woke up at 8:00am, which was fabulous! In my opinion, 8:00am is like the best time to wake up in the morning. It's not too late and it's certainly not early, it's just right. Got out of bed, grabbed a book and then clambered back into bed with a PB&J for breakfast and my book. I read for about an hour and a half (practically half the book) and then decided to I should do something productive with my life, so I went to the Community Center for a bit.

The Community Center, second best place in Bowling Green to people watch. GFT is totally first. My favorite place to people watch there is in the weight lifting area, especially if you're there between 4pm-6pm Monday-Friday, because guys' weightlifting is just funny to me. Their facial expressions, the way they walk, the level of noise they have their headphones set at... I think it's called SCREAM on the dial. When I'm on the track, I also enjoy creating life stories of the people on the track with me.. their names, their jobs, what they're thinking about, what they were doing before they got there today. It's just another way to allow my mind release energy and avoid focusing on the pain of exerting my body for a small amount of time. Sometimes my Glee playlist doesn't always do the trick.

So after a fun filled day of doing nothing, and loving it, it's now Monday night, about 10:20(ish), and that means just one thing..... time for bed, then time for work. Now, typically I would enter some complaint or heavy sigh about how much I hate going to work... however, tonight I couldn't be more thankful to say that I get to wake up in the morning and I get to go to work and clock in, because I am BLESSED to have a job.

There are so many, so many people who are jobless right now. And I can promise you fellow bloggers, that those people would bend over backwards and do anything to switch roles with me, just so they would have employment. Regardless of how hard it may be, how boring the workload is, or how slowly the time passes... bottom line remains, I have a job.

Not just any job, but one that offers health insurance, guaranteed pay every two weeks, evenings and weekends off, holidays off.... like President's Day. Opportunities for vacation time and comp time, and a personal day on top of that..... I'm only 24, and I have a job that some people would work their whole life to obtain. Such a genuine blessing, that I am so incredibly thankful for. And on top of all that, I get to be a light for the Kingdom to my coworkers (like Stella, see previous post) and to my clients. I am able to offer them a genuine love and kindness through the Father, in such a dark and hard time of their life, such a rich opportunity.

On Friday my supervisor gave me some super sweet information... they support me in going to Grad School, and they understand that it's something that I want and need to do full time. They also told me that if I choose to continue working full time, they would be as flexible as possible to make sure that school is my priority. But if need be, part time is also an option...

To top it all off... she told me that my request regarding the dress code at our Agency was approved for me. About two weeks ago, I informed my supervisor and the Director of our Agency that I was interested in partaking in a cause that would take form through fashion, and that I was planning on wearing the same dress for one month. However, I knew that in order to do this I would have to be sure that it wouldn't be out of line with the dress code policy. My request to do 1 dress for 1 month was authorized. Starting March 15th, I will be walking alongside Amy, and countless other woman to support and raise awareness for the Daughter Project. FOR THE DAUGHTERS!

For all of these reasons, I am thankful that I have not any job, but my job.

2 comments:

  1. Ashley - what a wonderful post and great way to catch up on how you're doing. You're such an amazing young woman! This is absolutely awesome news about how supportive your boss/job is being with grad school and your passion for The Daughter Project. You totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for days off! It's so cool that you are doing the 1 dress for 1 month thing, for such a beautiful cause. Keep us updated on that for sure :)

    Oh and people watching is my one of my favorite activities!

    ReplyDelete